With all the hubba-bub over Prop. 8 (by the way, I will be really happy when election day is over and we can all, hopefully, stop talking about this) I have been doing a lot of thinking about all the ramifications there might be if prop 8 does not pass. You may have read my post a couple days ago stating nine of the consequences if prop 8 fails, but here is a little more food for thought...something to chew on, if you will.
The Gay and Lesbian communities stance on this matter is based on "Equality for All". Correct? Well, if prop 8 fails and our children begin to be taught about the Gay and Lesbian lifestyle and how their marriage is equal to marriage between a man and a woman, I have to wonder,what's next? The Gay community says they should be free to love who they choose and have the same rights as everyone else. Well, what about other people out there who choose to love, say, their cousin, or multiple people? Currently, it is illegal to marry your cousin, it is also illegal to be married to more than one person. Why? If Gay's are claiming "equality for all" doesn't that mean "ALL"? Several months ago this country watched in horror (myself included) as a "sinful" polygamist "compound" was searched, children were stripped from their homes, mothers torn from their children because their lifestyle of being married to more than one person is immoral and illegal. What is the difference? Why are Gay's free to love and marry whom they choose but people who choose to love more than one person are not? Equality for all? Or just for them?
If prop 8 fails how long will it be before people from these other small minority groups come forward and say, hey, if Gays can marry, why cant we? I, in NO WAY, condone plural marriage, or marriage to a cousin or other family member, morally, I believe it's wrong. But if prop. 8 fails I can guaranty it wont be long before these other minorities come forward claiming "Equality for All!".
I don't think many of us have fully grasped the long term effects if prop 8 fails. It means more than two gay people being able to marry. It means more than our children being taught their alternative lifestyle in school. It means more than our Churches being forced to condone same-sex marriage. It will open the door to a plethora of other things I don't think any of us approve of (i.e. plural marriage, incessant marriage, and dare I say bestiality!!) or are ready for.
I want to reiterate what I said in my last pro-prop. 8 post. That I truly do love all of Gods children. I really do not want anyone to feel that they are being discriminated against, because really, they aren't. I want Gays to have the full rights of married couples like they currently have under the Domestic Partnership union (Family Code §297.5.). The reason I support prop 8 is because I want my right preserved to have my child taught marriage is between a man and a woman.
The Gay and Lesbian communities stance on this matter is based on "Equality for All". Correct? Well, if prop 8 fails and our children begin to be taught about the Gay and Lesbian lifestyle and how their marriage is equal to marriage between a man and a woman, I have to wonder,what's next? The Gay community says they should be free to love who they choose and have the same rights as everyone else. Well, what about other people out there who choose to love, say, their cousin, or multiple people? Currently, it is illegal to marry your cousin, it is also illegal to be married to more than one person. Why? If Gay's are claiming "equality for all" doesn't that mean "ALL"? Several months ago this country watched in horror (myself included) as a "sinful" polygamist "compound" was searched, children were stripped from their homes, mothers torn from their children because their lifestyle of being married to more than one person is immoral and illegal. What is the difference? Why are Gay's free to love and marry whom they choose but people who choose to love more than one person are not? Equality for all? Or just for them?
If prop 8 fails how long will it be before people from these other small minority groups come forward and say, hey, if Gays can marry, why cant we? I, in NO WAY, condone plural marriage, or marriage to a cousin or other family member, morally, I believe it's wrong. But if prop. 8 fails I can guaranty it wont be long before these other minorities come forward claiming "Equality for All!".
I don't think many of us have fully grasped the long term effects if prop 8 fails. It means more than two gay people being able to marry. It means more than our children being taught their alternative lifestyle in school. It means more than our Churches being forced to condone same-sex marriage. It will open the door to a plethora of other things I don't think any of us approve of (i.e. plural marriage, incessant marriage, and dare I say bestiality!!) or are ready for.
I want to reiterate what I said in my last pro-prop. 8 post. That I truly do love all of Gods children. I really do not want anyone to feel that they are being discriminated against, because really, they aren't. I want Gays to have the full rights of married couples like they currently have under the Domestic Partnership union (Family Code §297.5.). The reason I support prop 8 is because I want my right preserved to have my child taught marriage is between a man and a woman.
Picture courtesy of Stacy's talented brother via Stacy's blog.

I suppose we should never talk politics... cause I love you, and this would get ANGRY. That's all. I still love ya! Agree to disagree. :)
ReplyDeleteKimmi~ Yeah, I kinda knew you would say that. I love you too!! But you should still bookmark my blog so you can check out all the stuff going on with Ryder and me. I don’t usually blog politics… just mommy stuff.
ReplyDeleteObviously I agree with your stance on the issue...:) You know this. But I think its important that people at least educate themselves on the issue. We should be sure that we really think of the effects of what this decision means and go with what we feel is the best for the future of our children and families. Obviously, for me and my family, that would mean a YES on Proposition 8.
ReplyDeleteI respect those who feel differently, because that's what America means.
I so appreciate your comments! I really think that people are underestimating the consequences of this proposition. Glad to see you are taking a stand!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this, Sara! I am really tired of everybody talking about Prop 8, too! This whole thing is stressing me out. I can't wait until Nov. 5th, because after that I'll know if we'll have to freakin move out of the state eventually or gear up to homeschool my kids (when I have them), or if we'll get to stay here in beautiful California, living on the beach!
ReplyDeleteYeah, thanks to the 4 Supreme Court Judges in SF. Anyways, I believe in equality but people voting NO are missing the point b/c they are not delving deeper into these possible eventualities you've mentioned. A piece of what's been passed is all they care about and that's a shame because if a Prop had been proposed again by nay sayers, I believe it could have been more equal to all so long as the definition of marriage was not changed and that "MORAL" views were not being taught in public schools. So funny to me that so many are against church and state, but where the heck do they think morals were generated from? Just a thought. Also, the polygamy is a big question and bestiality too. What's next if reform is not gone about in a way that's equal for all? Where will the lie be drawn? I guess I just feel that it should have been left to the people of California and the courts should have backed off.
ReplyDeletep.s. let's do lunch like you said. i'll call you this week. I like you CANNOT wait till the election is over!!! I'll still talk a little politics and we can agree to agree:)
I love you for this!! I miss you too! Lets go to apple hill together! You need to come see my place! I will post pictures when it is ALL done! XOXOXOXOXO ~ Me
ReplyDeleteIts so sad to me that a lot of people I know that are voting No on 8 don't really know what its all about or just know a gay person so they don't want to hurt their feelings! SERIOUSLY! I have never been in to politics and maybe its just cause I am a mommy now and this WILL affect our kids but I am all about it! There is a rally at the Capitol on Tuesday and I am SO there! Anyway, I know we talked about getting our kiddos together like 5 years ago but I would love to sometime!
ReplyDeleteHaha. I love that I am the only "No on 8'er" on your blog. It's just like me- to be the rebel. But I would just like to say- I am EXTREMELY educated on this proposition, so my views on it are definitely not due to lack of information. My position on it is due to my very passionate views- including separation of church and state. What if something got passed saying that divorce should be illegal.... I don't want government telling me what to do! P.S. I am totally open to comments and debate. I don't get upset, but I definitely defend my views. So if anyone wants to comment, please feel free. Yay for democracy!
ReplyDeleteKimmi~ I think the yes on 8 sayers are saying the same thing... they dont want the government telling them what to do. Because we already passed prop 22 back in 2001 saying marriage is between a man and a woman then 4 judges over turned it, who gave those 4 judges the right to overrule the people of this state, you know? If that’s not the government telling us what to do than I dont know what is. Plus, the whole issue of our children being taught in school about homosexual relations is another way the government would be telling us what to do. Of course in my home I will still be teaching my kids marriage is between man and a woman, but how confusing is that to kids to be learning one thing in school and another at home. It is frustrating to me when the no on 8ers say schools won’t be teaching it. Just a couple weeks ago in San Fran a group of 1st graders were taken on a field trip to a gay wedding. You have to understand why I wouldn’t want Ryder being exposed to that, especially at such a young age. And, yeah, I could have him not go on the field trip, but then what, my kid is standing out in the class as being the child of a "bigot". I heard on that field trip 3 kids stayed behind... you have to wonder what their teacher now thinks of those kids, will those kids now be treated different by their teacher?
ReplyDeleteAlso, in another state in which gay marriage is now legal a Catholic adoption agency was put out of business because they refused to allow a gay couple to adopt. How is that separation of church and state if the state is now telling this church what they have to do?
If it were just about allowing Gay people to get "married" I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I am not trying to tell them what to do or who to love, that’s up to them. But I feel as though my rights are being taken away and the government will be further trying to control my beliefs.
Anyway, just my feelings on the issue. I am sure we wont be changing eachothers minds here. Still agreeing to disagree!! Love you! :)
Yea, see, all of the things you mention as "consequences" of gay marriage, I actually view as positive things. Well, our votes will cancel each other out next Tuesday. Haha.
ReplyDelete