Thursday, September 11, 2008

I'm Proud To Be An American


“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America,
there will be no forgetting September the 11th.
We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. “

- President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001





This morning on my way driving over to Stacys house for our morning run I turned on the radio and was immediately reminded of the date. Today is September 11th. It was seven years ago today that our country was so grossly attacked.

Although it's been seven years I remember September 11th 2001 like it was yesterday. I woke up, having left my TV on the night before, to see first thing the images of the twin towers up in smoke. Right away I remember the feeling of fear and uncertainty that went through my head. Trying to understand what was going on I called my dad. He had been up since the wee hours of the morning and saw the whole thing unfold. He saw the second plane hit. When my dad told me he believed our country had been attacked I was so scared. As I watched the buildings collapse I remember crying and morning for those lost.

I didn't know a single person that died on September 11th. But that didn't matter. These people were my brothers and sisters, my fellow Americans. They were husbands and wives and children.

This morning as I listened to the radio's tribute to the heroes of 9/11 the same feeling came back that I felt that horrible day. I had chills as they played the recording of a news anchor reporting as the second tower was hit and then as the towers fell. And, again, I began to cry for the many people lost. So much so that once I got to Stacys house I tried to tell her about my feelings and got choked up again.

In the days following 9/11 I remember the pride of country had by all. There was not a car on the street that didnt have an American flag on it. There were groups of people gathered on every street corner with flags, singing God Bless America and chanting USA! Our country was united through this great tragedy.

As we go through this election time I cant help but miss that feeling of unity our country had. No matter what political party we agree with, Republican, Democrat or Independent, we have to remember that we are all on the same team, wanting the same thing. America stands for freedom and liberty and thats really what matters.

I am so proud and grateful to be blessed to live in this great country with so many freedoms. I am so grateful for the very brave men and woman fighting for the freedoms that we often take for granted. I am grateful for the many brave men and woman here in our own city's and towns through out the country working to protect us, firefighters, police officers and military personnel. May we never forget 9/11. God bless the USA!



2 comments:

  1. Hey Sara,
    Wow, it has been a long time! I'm glad you found my blog. You are still cute as can be! And that little boy sure is handsome. I am living in Minneapolis right now. It's much too cold for people from California. I pretty much whine my butt off October through April. My husband is in grad school now, but we hope to be able to move back in a few years. I'd love to really be able to talk to you some time. Send me an email if you get a chance! jillybean152 at hotmail dot com.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful. Thank you Sara for reminding me this morning about remembering. Your spirit about the sacredness of this day, because of those lives lost, really put me in the mood to remember and show pride for my country. You're amazing...I love you!

    ReplyDelete