Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Just Do It

I have been procrastinating a lot lately. Okay, "lately" is an understatement...there is nothing "lately" about my procrastination. One of my biggest flaws is, without question, procrastination. I'll admit it. I have been really looking at this time in my life, being single again, as a way to do a lot of learning and growing and trying to better myself. One thing I am looking to change is my perpetual procrastination (thank you Stacy for the great post on procrastination. It was the kick in the butt that I needed! To read the post go check out http://findingstrengthwithin.blogspot.com/ .) Another big flaw of mine, since I am just putting it all out there for some reason, is a am such a pack-rat. I hate it. All this stuff I have. Stuff that I don't need...or really even want. So why do I have it laying around cluttering my life?

There are clothes in Ryders dresser from when he was 6 months old. Just sitting there, untouched gathering dust and consuming much needed precious space. Why is it there? Why is it not packed away for the day that I am blessed enough to have another little boy? The answer to that question, and many others like it, is procrastination and my lack of organizational skills.

Sad. But true.

Yesterday I made a new commitment to myself to change these two things that are constantly gnawing away at me. When my house is well organized I am so much happier. Correction, when my life is organized I am so much happier. Because it's not just my house. Last night as part of my new found Anti-procrastination Act, I scrubbed the inside of my refrigerator within an inch of it's life. Something I have been meaning to do for weeks now. But the answer was always tomorrow, tomorrow, I'm too tired, I'm too busy, tomorrow, tomorrow. I felt so much better after it was done. As if that small thing that I did, that took 30 min's of time, somehow gave me a new found sense of self worth and accomplishment.

Today I logged into my computer, which has been running unbelievably slow lately, by the way, and I had some sort of awakening that my desktop was a mess. I had the entire thing covered in icons. Why the heck do all those icons need to be on my desktop? And what were all those icons to? I began clicking through many of them to find they were mostly pictures, which of course, I'm not going to get rid of, but pictures do and should have a home in that little place known as the "Picture" file. So it began, one by one I moved all the pictures into their rightful place, the picture file, organized by date and event. The rest the lingering icons were mostly a bunch of old useless out dated work crap. Enrollment sheets from 2006...dont think I need those anymore. The 24 Hour Fitness gym class schedule from June 2007, I'm guessing the class times have changed by now.... Some files wouldn't even open at all. I had an old Jamba Juice coupon I downloaded that expired last December. So, Delete, Delete, Delete.... I got rid of all that old useless stuff boggling down my computer...and my life!

Tonight I will be tackling both my and Ryders closets. This morning I noticed some old maternity clothes hanging in my closet...what the... serious? Kay, it's been over 2 years since I was pregnant and I don't think I am going to be preggers anytime soon...time to pack that crap away! In the words of some Nike marketing genius, JUST DO IT!

Like Stacy pointed out in her blog, I cant expect myself to get it all done at once. But one day at a time, if I'm working on it, over time it will all be done. And I will be able to feel that sweet sense of accomplishment knowing that my life is totally and finally streamlined. Hallelujah!

3 comments:

  1. I am proud of you!!! It is hard to make that decision to finally just start making changes. I think everyone procrastinates something, but its awesome that you are working hard to do just that much better everyday to work at it. Thanks for the plug for my blog...I honestly really needed to write that for myself too. I have a problem with procrastination. We can help each other! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at a time.... LOVES it! I am SO glad to hear you want to make the change. So many people recognize the need for the change, but never act! I know how much more relaxed my life is with things in the right place.... me....OCD.... right!!! HAHA Great resolution! It will lighten your load!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! You say it so well, and you did something about it. I sounds like you had a great summer. Keep up with the positive thinking it's take you further than you can imagine. I love the fun pictures of Ryder, 2 already? I can't believe it It seem like yesterday I met him for the first time at the zoo!

    ReplyDelete