It's a weird thing dating after divorce in the LDS world, especially when you have a child. This past Monday, in an effort to meet new people, I went to the speed dating family home evening for the Folsom YSA. In general I haven't been to into the whole singles ward thing. I don't really feel like it's where I belong, then again I don't really feel like I belong in my family ward either. But I realize, if I am ever going to get married again I need to put myself out there to meet new people. So, I went. In the middle of the cultural hall there were a bunch of long tables spread from one end of the room to the other. Girls on one side, boys on the other. Becky and I sat right in the middle. Every 2 minutes we were instructed to switch.
I went down the line from guy to guy, they were all very nice by the way, when I came to this cute young lad, named, umm, I cant remember his name so we'll call him Jake. Our conversation went as followed...
Me: Hi I'm Sara (put my hand out to shake, dont ask my why I do this, I guess I get it from my dad)
Jake: Hi Sara, I'm Jake. What school do you go to?
Me: School? I don't go to school any more. What school do you go to?
Jake: I just graduated from Potorosa High School but I am going to BYU in the winter.
Me: Wow, Pontorosa? How old are you?
Jake: 18. How old are you?
Me: How old do you think I am?
Jake: 22?
Me: Yes, Jake, I am 22.
Jake, Awesome, I'm good at guessing ages.
Me: Jake, I'm not really 22.
Jake: You're not?
Me: Nope, I'm not
Jake: 23?
Me: No
Jake: 25?
Me: no
Jake: 24?
Me: no
Jake: 26?
Me: No
Jake: 20?
Me: no
Jake: 27???!!!!!?????!!!!!????!!!!
Me: Yep! I'm 27!
Jake: Holy crap. you're 27?!?! Shut up! (he says to the kid next to him) Hey, dude, guess how old she is. (like I am some kind of freak) (the kid goes through a similar guessing process as Jake and then they both freak out for a minute. Then they ask Becky, who was next to me, how old she was. Again, they are blown away but the fact we are 9 years older then them. So then they ask another fun question, "How do you two know each other?".
Becky: Ummm, we used to, uhem, date the same guy. (she looks at me) Right Sara, we , ahem, dated the same guy.
Jake: wow, you two dated the same guy? Who dated him first?
Becky: Umm, I did, Sara dated him second.
Jake and his friend in unison: SLOPPY SECONDS (followed by childish snort laughing)
Jake: Who dated him longer?
Becky, It was about the same. 3 years.
Me: 4 years.
Jake: WOW!! That long and you never got engaged?
Me: Oh, yeah, we did get engaged.
Jake: Which of you?
Me: Umm, both of us.
Jake: But you never got married?
Me: Oh no, I did get married.
Jake: (his eyes have popped out of his head, jaw hit the table, I thought he might faint) WHAT!?!?! You're married?
Me: No, not any more.
Becky: Yeah, and you know what else, She has a kid too!!!
Jake and his friend are now completely wigging out. I guess they aren't use to meeting 27 year old divorcees with a 2 year old at Pontorosa High School, well, unless she's a teacher. ha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh my goodness. This is hysterical! Seriously! You should have had some sort of hidden camera or something! I wish I knew some amazing guy here to hook you up with. You'll find someone, maybe he graduated from Ponterosa more than 2 months ago though! :)
ReplyDeleteWow! This is so funny! I was laughing so hard, especially when Becky was pulled in the conversation! Too funny!
ReplyDeleteYou have always had a way with Wowing the guys Sar! Too cute! You know Preston has a brother in that ward... ; )
ReplyDeleteGirl, you have got to be kidding me. Little boys...how naiive they can be. Twenty seven is not old, but when you are barely graduated from high school, you've got no idea what the real world is like yet. Well at least you got a story out of it. And a laugh. That's so funny. I'm sorry that you have to go through that stuff...well, you don't. Cuz I'm gonna hook you up girl. We'll make plans soon...its in the works. Love you...
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh, i'm sorry i am laughing right now! wow they have no idea how silly they sounded. they are in for a world of surprise when they get into the real world. Very funny conversation! ;)
ReplyDeleteI think you jiggled his world a little bit but seriously they shouldn't invite non RM's to a speed dating thing anyway. Hang in there, you'll meet Mr. Right.
ReplyDeleteI did not tell them you had a kid!!! They asked about him! I made that mistake once and will never, ever do that again.
ReplyDeleteBecky
ps
I don't have a blog so I used sarah and gregs
HAHAHAHA!! That is GREAT! So did you get Jake's number??
ReplyDelete