Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Snakes Bite!

So, happy early birthday to me... Sugar got bit by a rattle snake today. Poor girl is in terrible pain. She was bit twice on her front right paw. The snake was apparently huge since the fang marks were about 3 inches apart. My dad was out plowing (wow, that makes me sound like a regular ol'country girl!!) when he noticed her laying down whining and unable to walk(totally out of character for my normally crazy hyper yellow lab). All he saw was a bloody leg swollen to about the size of a baseball catchers mitt. He took her into the Pleasant Valley emergency pet hospital. The county of El Dorado has no, I repeat, NO anti-venom so all they can do it put fluids into her, watch her and hope she has the will to fight it off.

My dad called as soon as he got to the vet to tell me what happened and that I was looking at a minimum bill of about 600.00. (again, Happy Birthday to me, BLAH) I rushed Ryder and I over to the vets office right away. When I got there she had a temp of about 106. I spent about 10 minutes with her, just petting her face and loving her. In that time her temp dropped back down to 100. I think seeing me made her feel comforted and calmed her down. The vet said that was a very good sign she will be able to pull through this.

I have had Sugar for a little over 3 years. She was only 6 weeks old when I got her and she is now very much a part of my family. I will be heart broken if she doesn't make it. But she is a strong dog. I'm hoping for the best....oh, and the cheapest. :)

Here, for your viewing pleasure, is a picture of Wonder Dog Sugar last Halloween...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to Sugar! Bill and I don't want pets partially b/c of vet bills. Animal lovers are far better than I. I hope she's okay:)

    ReplyDelete