Well, it's that time of year again...another one come and gone. On Saturday I will be turning (dun dun dun) 27. BLAH. People laugh at me and say, what's wrong with 27? Well, for starters, it's such an ugly number tww-ennnn-ty se-vvvv-en , eww. And second of all, it's just another inch closer to that black hole of oldness I see daunting ahead known as 30. My life isn't exactly where I pictured it would be at 27. I mean, I had the typical mental picture of married, house, couple kids and a mini van. Well, that certainly is not the case. The 26th year of my life has been full of tremendous changes. I have endured many things I never thought I would have to. A divorce, for starters, something I just knew would never happen to me. I mean, that's for the other 50% of the population, not me! But, as we all know, life has it's way of throwing us a curve ball now and then.
I've done what I can to remain strong, I mean after all, I am certainly no quitter and I have a little man that looks at me with those adoring eyes every morning reminding me of the things in this life that are really important, him and God. I have learned so many valuable life lessons this year about who I am, who I want to be, what I can handle and what I cant. I've learned that when times are tuff my family will ALWAYS be there. My father has been my pillar this year, as he has my whole life, with out his strength to lean on I don't know what I would have done. My family supports me in every meaning of the word, they are my cheerleaders, my confidants, my best friends and my biggest fans. Anyway, none of this was really the point of this posting.
The point is, that, it's true, with each year we really do become older and wiser. So, in honor of my 27 years of life I am going to list 27 things that I am grateful for...
1. The Gospel and the testimony I have of it. The strength I find in the knowledge of a higher being gives me hope and guidance.
2. Ryder. How was I so lucky to be blessed with the most gorgeous little boy? I mean really, the kid should be in Gap commercials.
3. Ryders calm and naturally happy demeanor. He is almost 2 but he says "yeah" way more than "no" or "mine". He makes being a single parent much more easy! Thank you Ryder!
4. Potty training. One day about a month ago Ryder just decided to be a big boy and start pooping in the potty. No poopy diapers? I cant think of a better birthday gift!
5. My dad. He has this silent faith that radiates from him. He is wise and never leads me the wrong direction with his counsel. I'll forever be a daddy's girl!
6. My mom. She would give me the shirt off her back if I asked, no question. She is such an example of selflessness. My brother and I ALWAYS came first.
7. My step mom. I dont think I know anyone who has endured more in their life than her. Really, her life is like a dang soap opera. Because of that she understands me and my trials, she loves me like her own daughter. She helps me with Ryder, lets me bring my noisy 2 year old to work with me. I admire her strength.
8. My brothers and sisters. Specifically Devon and Danelle. They are an amazing couple with great balance in there marriage. I look up to them (I've always looked up to Devon) more than words can express. Danelle was the first person I turned to with the many problems Josh and I had been having. She has laughed with me, cried with me, done way too much shopping with me and is in many ways my best friend. I have gone to see them 3 times in the past year and they always show me a great time. Devon takes such good care of his little sister. Thanks guys!
9. My fabulous job! I could not be more blessed to have my job. I work for Denises insurance agency selling health insurance to small groups. It provides a fun challenge plus my hours are flexible, Ryder comes to work with me, and it pays well! Holla!
10. My house! I have a little house on my dads 13 acers. Its all mine. My dads house is 100 yards away and the closest neighbor is another 100 yards away. I love the wide open space! Plus, my landlord (my dad) doesn't charge me rent. Love it!
11. Country music. It's not the "I lost my job, my wife left and my dog died" music it used to be. I can really relate to a lot of the songs. Singing them is like therapy. The Carrie Underwood song "Wasted" made me think she was singing about me. The Wreckers song "Cigarettes" is another song that struck a cord, truly a song about me. I will forever be grateful for those songs.
12. Hip hop music. Nothing makes me happier than dancing! Put on 50 cent In Da Club and my mood is insta-happy!
13. The tanning bed. Yeah, it's summer, but where the heck is the sun (will the smoke ever clear?!!?)? That's okay, I can go lay down and take a 20 minute power nap with the "sun" on my face a few times a week. I love the 21st century!
14. The Relief Society. My home ward is amazing. It is full of wonderful strong woman who love me and show me such great examples.
15. My work ethic. My dad has always said "any job worth doing is a job worth doing well". And Denise has always said "work before play". As a kid (snotty teenager) I cringed each time I heard those phrases, but now I see the wisdom and appreciate that my parents loved me enough to teach me the importance of being hard working.
16. My generally positive attitude. I have had people tell me that I am too positive, I'm sorry, is that supposed to be a bad thing?
17. My unbelievably awesome friends!!!! Melissa, Stacy, Becky, Chelsea, Kimmy, the many old friends I have who have known me forever and the many new friends I have acquired this year. I love you all. Thanks for all the fun times!
18. Airplanes. Is it just me or is it incredible that we have the ability to get in a very heavy metal cylinder and shoot through the air across the country at like 700 miles per hour?!?! It has given me the ability to be close to loved ones far away. I am so glad I don't have to pull a hand cart to see them!!!!
19. VACATION!!!! I love vacation! Some R&R is good for the soul!
20. Miss Resa, Ryders daycare lady he goes to 2 days a week. She is wonderful. She loves the kids and always has fun things planned for them. Ryder has learned a lot at her house!
21. Cookie dough. Because sometimes you just need a spoonful of chocolate chip cookie dough! Am I right?
22. My health. period.
23. Ben and Jerry's... Thank you Ben , Thank you Jerry!
24. Having said that, Weight Watchers, for helping me loose the rest of that dang baby weight from all the Ben and Jerrys consumed while preggers!
25. My car. Sure, it takes premium gas and only gets 18 miles to the gallon, but it is beautiful, safe, reliable and has gone over 50,000 miles with me in the past 12 months. Thank you Acura for building a great car!
26. My bishop.... this one should have been much higher on the list. Bishop Johnson is an amazing man of God whom I respect very much. He gave me great council through the divorce. His guidance and wisdom will never be forgotten.
27. The many many blessings I have that go unmentioned here. I truly lead a blessed life, I know that and I am thankful for that every day!!
Okay, that was probably the longest blog post ever....but I had a lot of fun writing it! I guess 27 wont be so bad after all. I mean, think of all the many exciting things I will get to experience over the next year of my life. I cant wait to see what this crazy life has in store for me. I have learned that part of the excitement in this life is the future and the many unknown possibilities it holds!
I am excited for a fun birthday weekend ahead. YaY ME!
**Kisses**
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Happy Birthday! I didn't realize we're only 1 week apart! Wowee. Mine is the 4th:) Have a fantastic birthday and always be optimistic cause it's contagious!
ReplyDeleteStacy: Love you girl!!! Happy, happy birthday! I will see you on Saturday! You would for sure be one of my top 24 blessings!!!! You are a blessing in my life....
ReplyDeleteNow for Marc (he doesn't do the blogging thing, but happened to be sitting here while I was reading your blog...this is all from him, and take it from the Marc that we both know and love...with that said...): "Reading this I thought I'd at least make top 27...but maybe by your 30th birthday I'll make it in there or something! haha...Happy birthday!"
Ah, 27 isn't that bad. I did kind of freak out for a minute when it registered to me though that I am actually 27. Remember when we were Freshmen and saw all of the girls on the Varsity cheer squad like Amber and Heather and everyone. Then when we became Seniors we didn't feel like we thought they looked. I thought the same thing when I turned 27, "I don't feel how I always thought a 27 year old looked." I guess I'll just always be 18 at heart. Or something like that. :) I hope you have an AWESOME birthday!
ReplyDeleteHey, I need your address. My Mom asked me to collect addresses for my shower. Hopefully I can see you there, and we can go to dinner one night with Jamie and everyone. Talk to you soon.
Sorry, here's my e-mail so you don't have to put your address on my blog for everyone to see. :)
ReplyDeletejenn_mize@hotmail.com
or
916-208-3833
Happy 27th! Enjoy it because 30 which is what I turned this year :( Is as bad is everyone says it is! Well kind of, it's all what you make of it like everything else in life. I'm so glad you were able to get away. It was so fun seeing pictures of you, Ryder, and Devon and Danelle's family.
ReplyDeleteYEAH! ~ I am SO happy to see how much we have grown since we became friends! Our top 19 never would have inclused the GREAT things you included. I am SO proud of you and all the things you do for me and my family. You are such a good example and I know next year's top 28 will be even better than this years! You are DEF in my top 27!!! LOVE YOU LONG TIME!
ReplyDelete